HUD Capacity Building (Section 4) Grants
One of Enterprise’s primary sources of grant funding is the HUD Capacity Building for Community Development and Affordable Housing Program, commonly referred to as Section 4. Since Congressional authorization in 1993, the program has helped low-income families and neighborhoods in more than 2,000 urban and rural communities in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
These funds are used to build capacity in nonprofit community development organizations – Community Housing Development Organizations (CHDOs) and Community Development Corporations (CDCs) – that meet eligibility requirements. Building capacity strengthens organizations to help them successfully:
- Implement HUD programs
- Design, finance and execute community development and affordable housing projects
- Coordinate on cross-programmatic, place-based approaches
- Facilitate knowledge sharing
To learn more about the Section 4 program, see Enterprise’s blog.
Section 4 Grant Funding Opportunities Available June 17, 2019
Applications will be accepted under two Requests for Letters of Interest (LOI):
- National Section 4 Capacity Building
- Rural & Native American Section 4 Capacity Building – Enterprise is seeking applications from CDCs, CHDOs, and organizations serving Native American populations, tribes, Tribally Designated Housing Entities, and Tribal Housing Authorities that meet eligibility criteria as well as organizations proposing to perform activities in rural areas.
Our 2019 funding round will follow a two-step application process:
- LOI phase: June 17 – July 15
- Full Proposal phase: August 8 – September 9
Once the LOIs are issued, interested CDCs and CHDOs should carefully review the program areas and specifications, organizational eligibility criteria, geographic priorities and all other requirements before applying. Successful applicants will be invited to submit a Full Proposal for grant funding. Invitations to submit a Full Proposal are expected to be issued in early August 2019. Awards are expected to be announced in mid-October 2019.
For questions on the Section 4 grant opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org